Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Can You Hear Me Now?




When I first came into Real Estate I made the mistake of showing one of my first Buyers everything. I mean everything! We looked at 10-15 houses a day for two months, made 3 offers and were Feng Shui’d out of two others.  So, when is too much, too much?

It came down to being my mistake.

I didn't listen.  I didn't hear.  I didn't do enough background research to provide my clients with the right properties to view.  The right agent, the diligent agent, will whittle it down.  Believe when I tell you it was a quick learning curve for me.
Now, I listen, I ask questions, I get a list of must haves, potential compromises and ensure my clients are prequalified so we know how much money they can spend.  I set up Buyers in the MLS system so that all new properties are emailed to them each day and those properties fit their criteria.  If one comes up that they like, I check it out.  What’s behind the house – a hydro field? A highway? Is it a corner lot on a busy street?  Is it next door to a mall or a plaza?  Knob and tube wiring? This is the information a client needs before they head out the door and it’s my job to ensure the information they have is accurate and true.

When I bring clients to view properties, I've already checked the street for previous ‘solds’ and ‘for sales’.  I know what’s going on in the neighborhood, where the schools are and roughly how much property taxes are going to be.  I no longer arbitrarily show anything and everything because that means I am not listening.  I am not hearing.  I am not respecting the fact that my clients’ time is valuable.

Will I show 50 properties to one client? Absolutely.  Some clients need to see many properties before they decide or narrow down their wants and needs and that’s okay.  It’s a lot of money to spend and let’s face it, it’s not my money, it’s theirs.  I've also had clients who've seen two homes and picked one.  Sold.  Everyone is different, including Buyers.

I think in preparing to Buy, educate yourself.  Talk to your Realtor; begin receiving listings in the area’s you are interested in so that you can see realistically what those homes are selling for and what your dollar will get.  Realize that you need to have the cash for the deposit ready; you have 1 day to come up with that cash when an offer is made and accepted.  Be prepared to lose a bid if there are multiple offers and always have a number in mind that you will NOT go over and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

Finally, realize that in all the homes you do see, you are not buying the furniture, the décor or that owners particular style vision.  Paint is so easily changeable, fixtures easily replaced; flooring can be stained, changed or removed.  Look beyond the cosmetic and see the walls in Grey, Yellow or Beige (whatever your distinct style is) and try to picture your family running the through the halls or playing in the backyard.

It may take 50 houses before you find that right one or it may only take 1 or 2 the point is, a good Realtor is going to listen and hear what your wants and needs are and help guide you so that your valuable time is not wasted.

Put together a list of what you are looking for and don’t be afraid to discuss those items, it’s your money.  And one last thing, be prepared to compromise.  We cannot magically procure the Million Dollar Dream Home on a $200 000.00 budget, but we’ll try our best!

If you have any questions or are considering purchasing property in the GTA (Toronto), please contact me, Nicole Kreutzberg anytime at nicole@gtalisted.com and let’s talk.  I look forward to it!

Originally Posted at www.gtalisted.com/blog

Can You Hear Me Now? | Blog | Nicole Kreutzberg  & Laszlo Koos
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment